If you’re someone who loves photography and wants to capture every moment in the best possible way, then you must have a great camera that can do justice to your skills. In this review, we’re going to take a look at the Nikon S640 – a compact camera that was released in 2009.
The Nikon Coolpix S640 was designed to be a sleek, pocketable point and shoot camera that could take great pictures under any lighting condition. It features a 12.2-megapixel, 1/2.3-inch CCD sensor and a 5x optical zoom lens that covers a focal range of 28-140mm (35mm equivalent). It also has a wide ISO range of 100-6400, 4-way VR image stabilization, and 2.7-inch LCD screen.
Design and Build Quality
When it comes to design and build quality, the Nikon S640 was built to impress. It has a sleek metal body that’s available in a variety of eye-catching colors that include black, purple, and red. The buttons and controls are conveniently placed so that they can be easily accessed, and the camera is lightweight, making it easy to carry around.
Image and Video Quality
Despite being an older camera, the Nikon S640 is still capable of delivering some impressive image quality. The 12.2-megapixel CCD sensor does a decent job of capturing sharp and detailed images, while the 5x optical zoom lens is able to capture wide-angle shots as well as close-ups. The S640 also performs admirably in low light conditions, thanks to its wide ISO range of 100-6400.
The camera is also capable of recording videos at a resolution of 640 x 480, which is relatively low by today’s standards. However, the video quality is still good enough for casual use.
The Nikon S640 comes loaded with several features that help to make it a versatile camera. Some of the notable features include:
- Scene Modes: The camera comes with 16 scene modes that make it easy to capture the perfect shot in almost any situation. The scene modes include portrait, landscape, night portrait, sports, and more.
- 4-way VR Image Stabilization: The S640 features 4-way VR image stabilization that helps to reduce blur caused by camera shake.
- Smile Timer: This feature takes a photo automatically when the camera detects the subject smiling.
The Nikon S640 has a user-friendly interface that makes it easy to use right out of the box. The menu system is intuitive and straightforward, and the camera comes with a helpful user manual that explains all of the camera’s functions and features in detail.
The Nikon S640 comes with a rechargeable Li-ion battery that provides enough power to capture up to 240 shots on a single charge. This battery life is quite impressive for a camera in this class.
Price and Availability
The Nikon S640 was released back in 2009 and is no longer available for purchase from Nikon. However, it can still be found refurbished or used for a reasonable price.
Are you considering buying the Nikon S640, but want to know what are its pros and cons? In this article, we’ll go over the strengths and weaknesses of the camera, to help you make an informed decision about your purchase.
Why Do Photographers Need to Buy a Nikon S640 Camera?
Photographers may consider buying a Nikon S640 camera for several reasons. Firstly, the camera is equipped with a high-quality sensor and fast autofocus system, which allows for capturing sharp and detailed images even in low light conditions. Additionally, the camera’s compact and lightweight design makes it easy to carry around, making it suitable for travel and outdoor photography. The Nikon S640 also offers various shooting modes and creative filters, enabling photographers to experiment with different styles and enhance their photos. Finally, the camera’s user-friendly interface and intuitive controls make it easy for photographers of all levels to use and navigate.
Recommended: Nikon S1000pj Camera
- Excellent Image Quality: Despite being an older camera, the Nikon S640 still produces high-quality photos. Its 12.2-megapixel CCD sensor captures sharp and detailed images, while the 5x optical zoom lens makes it versatile for both wide-angle and close-up shots.
- Wide ISO Range: The Nikon S640 has an impressive range of ISO 100 to 6400, allowing you to take pictures in a variety of lighting conditions.
- Compact and Portable: The Nikon S640 is a pocketable camera, making it easy to carry around with you wherever you go.
- Easy to Use: The camera’s user-friendly interface and intuitive controls make it easy to use right out of the box, even for beginners.
- Affordable: The Nikon S640 is no longer available for purchase from Nikon, but it can still be found refurbished or used for an affordable price.
- Low Video Resolution: While the Nikon S640 is capable of recording videos, its maximum resolution of 640 x 480 pixels is quite low by today’s standards.
- No Viewfinder: The Nikon S640 only has a 2.7-inch LCD screen for composing your shots, which can make it difficult to use in bright sunlight.
- Limited Manual Controls: While the Nikon S640 does have a manual mode, it doesn’t offer as much control over the camera’s settings as some other models.
- No Wireless Connectivity: The Nikon S640 does not include any wireless connectivity options, which can make it difficult to share your photos with others.
- Limited Availability: As mentioned before, the Nikon S640 is no longer available for purchase from Nikon, which can limit your options when it comes to finding it for sale.
Nikon S640 Camera Features Table:
|Sensor Size||1/2.3 inch|
|Lens||5x optical zoom-NIKKOR lens|
|LCD Screen||2.7 inch|
|Image Stabilization||Electronic VR|
|Shooting Modes||Auto, Scene, Smart Portrait, Movie, Subject Tracking|
|Burst Mode||Up to 4 shots at approx. 1.4 frames per second|
|Video||720p HD video recording with sound|
|Battery Life||Approx. 270 shots per charge (EN-EL10 battery)|
|Dimensions||91.5 x 54 x 22.5 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 115 g (including battery and SD memory card)|
Is the Nikon S640 still a good camera?
Despite being an older camera, the Nikon S640 is still capable of delivering impressive image quality, even by today’s standards. It’s a versatile camera that comes loaded with several features that make it easy to capture the perfect shot in almost any situation.
What is the resolution of the Nikon S640?
The Nikon S640 features a 12.2-megapixel CCD sensor that produces images with a maximum resolution of 4000 x 3000 pixels.
What is the maximum ISO of the Nikon S640?
The Nikon S640 has a wide ISO range that goes from 100 to 6400.
Can the Nikon S640 record videos?
Yes, the Nikon S640 is capable of recording videos with a maximum resolution of 640 x 480 pixels.
Does the Nikon S640 have an image stabilizer?
Yes, the Nikon S640 features 4-way VR image stabilization that helps to reduce blur caused by camera shake.